What is a Paralegal ?
Paralegals perform tasks requiring knowledge of the law and legal procedures. Only in Ontario are Paralegals licensed with the Law Society of Ontario and permitted to provide legal services.
Paralegals scope of practice consists of:
- Small Claims Court matters
- Landlord/Tenant matters
- Statutory Accident Benefit claims and insurance files
- WSIB hearings
- Employment Insurance appeals
- Highway Traffic Act offences
- Disability appeals and appearances before all Boards and Tribunals
Paralegals in general are more cost effective than those of lawyers, making them a good alternative for people whose legal needs fall within their scope of practice.